A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

Saturday 27 September 2014

Above Jodhur at Meyrangar Fortress

         Gently coaxed myself forward through the heritage entry arch of Wem's guest house at 10.30am . My target today is the impressive Meyrangarh fortress built on a 400 foot 'rock mountain" that rears up and dominates Jodhpur. Realising that in this heat it is not advisable toset oneself up for an overly physical regime of sightseeing.  "Bravely' (stupidly?) I committed myself to walk up to the fort entrance via a very narrow, steep and twisty lane which quickly degenerated into long flights of stairs. Paid my $6 entrance fee--expensive for India, my camera fee, my social donation fee and I was free to set myself  loose on the several museums in the fort. Access to the fort is sheer and impregnable and is hailed as one of the most magnificent in India. The fort was constructed in two phases, early 1600's and the early 1800's in response to invaders from the North.After salving my conscience & scanning the exhibits, I climbed up to the battlements for a photo session. The viewing points offered magnificent vistas across the city ---a city that is also famous as being the "Blue City" of India. Apparently, the Brahman caste, the highest caste, traditionally painted their houses all blue in order that they could be easily identified. In these more enlightened times, others of lower castes, caught onto a good idea, so that there are now many buildings painted blue across the city.

Photos duly taken, I treated myself to the auto rickshaw ride back down to street market area around the central clock tower, in the hope of rounding up a cool drink, or three, and acquainting myself with the maze of narrow lanes & passages that constitute the main commercial area.
She's being fattened for Eid. (the goat!).
         Comment. The currency system of India is denominated in rupees. .Approx. 60 to the $US. Very few coins in the system. Paper notes as low as 5 rupees.(10 cents).Small notes are much sought after to make change. It is a constant battle between buyer and seller to manoeuvre the other party to give up his small notes. Offer a rickshaw driver a 100R note for a 70R ride and he will feign that he has no change. ---shafted again! Ditto, transactions in the market and with the street vendors.

Interesting fact: Those of you that ride horses will know about jodphurs,high leather boots that are used to protect the riders legs. The name of these high boots hails from Imperial times in this city of Jodhpur when British officers carried the name back to the UK. Likewise,  the  words gymkana, (a horse show),  bungalow & veranda also derive from that same colonial period, when words were imported back to the UK by returning soldiers.
Picture on right. I mistakenly thought this beautiful goat living in the house was the family pet. Today, I discovered that she is being fattened up for the upcoming Eid festival. Poor goat--she is so friendly & tame.

No comments:

Post a Comment