A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

Wednesday 29 October 2014

Arrival by train in Kolkata...

             I arrived in Kolkata on the “Darjeeling Mail” at 6.20 am, just 20 minutes late on a 10 hour overnight journey from Siliguri. Trains on Indian Railways are denominated with numbers in addition to rather quaint
names by which they are more generally known by rail travellers. This was my third and final sector of this 90 day rail journey, that runs overnight—much more comfortable that I had beforehand expected and this morning I arrive refreshed after 6-7 hours in the Land of Nod. Must be the rolling stock squeaks and mysterious bangs that hypnotise me!
              Kolkata, formerly known as Calcutta, changed its name in 2001, to make it more phonetic for Bengalis. The city, pop.14.7 million, covering 187 sq. kms is just 10m above sea-level which explains reported flooding in the streets, when there are monsoon rains—memories of Bangkok!. Kolkata was the capital of the Raj up to 1911, when as the result of an earlier 1905 administrative decision to split the State of Bengal into two parts, resulted in wide-spread unrest, the British applied the quick fix and moved the capital to Delhi.
               My hotel, or to be more accurate residency, aka guest-house, is located in the ‘new’ area Salt Lake City section, 10 kms. away from the centre, making it a full 45 minute ($3.50) taxi ride in grindingly slow traffic,. Yes, I think I made a mistake with this hotel—generally I like to be nearer the centre where better facilities for tourists usually exist. Anyway, it is, on budget, clean and quiet---not always guaranteed in India.
     Let's face it,  Kolkata carries baggage in terms of its world-wide reputation in terms of poverty and urban blight. I have to say at this point, on the basis of a superficial 3 hour meander to try and orient myself in the central area, it does appear (surprisingly) to me to be significantly cleaner and somewhat more sophisticated compared to both Delhi and Mumbai ----only a single cow spotted on a traffic island, so far! During this initial centre city stroll, I felt quite safe on the streets and everyone I spoke with was extremely helpful and friendly. Only negative experience was upon entering the taxi to return to my hotel when I was accosted by a couple of young female street beggars who tried to bar my entry, till I had given them money. I had to use some muscle to push them away so as to be able to close the cab door. Early this morning, I did see awfully squalid slums bordering the rail tracks on the approach the rail terminus—with many living & sleeping in total poverty, under plastic sheeting.
Need a loan --put up  the wife's gold...
                                    =============================
          Police & security in India. I judge that police in India do not have a good image with the public. They seem distant, surly and unapproachable. Mostly they are older men that have the air of being ex-military & lathis (long clubs) or with a machine gun. They loiter in the shade, or sit in police vehicles reading the newspaper. Those few traffic police that are on point duty at central points, not many traffic light functional here, lethargically gesture to the traffic with an air of---“I have given up---all this is too much for me”! It has been indicated to me that if you need police help you better have your wallet out & be ready to make a donation to the ‘Police Retirement Fund’.
usually armed with metre long
          The private sector cousins of police are the omni-present ‘security’ guards that hang about outside of almost any significant office building, 'high class shops', banks, hospital, hotels etc., etc. Self appointed security guards even set themselves up to guard parking spots for select and generous customers. Clearly the massive use of security guards in India is another manifestation of a major over supply of unskilled labour, resulting in very low wages and general under employment.

No comments:

Post a Comment