A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

A rail journey around India, beginning & ending in Mumbai...

Sunday 5 October 2014

Onwards to Delhi--- federal capital...

             Experienced the realities of seat politics for the rail tourist in India. On time, train # 14223, aka ‘The Barreilly Express, rolled into Jaipur station. Crowded platforms--- perhaps a religious holiday, me thought, but then isn’t every day some kind of religious holiday in India?! Proceeded to my confirmed & reserved berth to find a family of 4 ensconced on my bed/berth. Sans confirmed reservations, they had seized the first berth available—possession being 9/10ths of the law and all that. In the torrid heat and facing 6-7 hours standing, I used muscle and the heft of my roller suitcase to support my claim to said berth, collapsing onto
And which track was that, sir? Delhi main station.
my berth, right in the middle of said Indian family. It was my expectation that the inevitable ticket inspector would correct the situation and boot out Indian family, returning pre-paid berth to the rightful owner. Protracted negotiations in Hindi ensued---bottom line: shafted again, shrugs all round and I had to concede the loss of 80% of my seat. Back in the good old colonial days-------!!!
                     About 15 minutes late rolled very slowly into an absolutely packed Delhi station. Seemed as if half mankind was there to meet me! Eventually scaled the bridge steps that led me over 15 tracks and out to the main exit. Thank goodness the enormous supply of awaiting
auto rickshaws is sufficient for the multitudes. Soon I was negotiated, loaded up and hurtling my way at walking speed ++ to my hotel. Absolute traffic pandemonium that Toronto drivers can only dream about in their worst nightmares.
Boarding the train --Indian style.....
                 
Item:    I do not see many people in India smoke cigarettes, certainly never a female. Many men chew paan, that I understand is some type of leaf that has mouth numbing properties. The by product of this activity is prodigious amounts of saliva, that is spewed out all over the place…I have had to duck quickly several times when I felt a delivery was heading my way.
A beautiful child.....

No comments:

Post a Comment